At the beginning of lockdown, I struggled to find rice in any of my local shops, so I started experimenting with things I already had at home…. like quinoa. I came up with a recipe that, not only satisfied my craving for a salty lunch but was easy to store in the fridge for easy access during midnight munches.
Here is what you need
- 3-4 Sheets of nori
- 1 1/2 Cups of cooked quinoa
- Chilli powder
- 1 Pepper/ Cucumber/ Avocado – whatever floats your boat
- Himalayan sea salt
- Pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Rice vinegar
- Season cooked quinoa with salt and chilli and a dash or rice vinegar, then spread the quinoa thinly over the nori sheet. Leave about an inch clear at the bottom. Make sure you don’t use too much quinoa and leave room for it to expand when rolled.
- Lay out your chosen filling in a thin line across the sheet and start rolling from the top.
- When it is rolled use a bit of water to make the nori sheet stick.
- Take a sharp knife and slice 1 inch rounds.
- For the Austrian twist drizzle a bit of pumpkin seed oil and vinegar on it. Done!