This is a birthday gift wrapped in an intresting article about recycling that was sent to me by my dear friend Marlene. The headband is from her sustainable fashion brand l.y.s, which I wrote a post about here.
The Holidays are fast approaching and with them, the stress of finding the perfect present for our loved ones. Well at least that’s how it was for me pre- Zero Waste life.
This year, I am approaching Christmas with excitement, kindness and most importantly, with ease.
While I no longer participate in the yearly shopping craze that used to ruin my mood every year, I still think about what gifts I can give my loved ones.
This is what I am giving them this year:
Bea Johnson Zero Waste Home (my Family is German, so it is perfect that her book was just translated into the German language with the title: “Glücklich eben ohne Müll”).
- Homemade Lotion: My step mother just showed me this wonderful recipe for an amazing lotion. While this one is not vegan, it is the closest I have come to a store bought lotion in terms of texture and moistorizing qualities. Will write a post about it soon.
- Homemade candles: My mom has her own bees so when they are, we are left with a lot of bees wax that make incredibly delicious smelling candles.
- If you would like to know how I make them, I have a candle recipe on my blog here.
- Lunch at a fancy restaurant. My grandma and I have a very special relationship and since she doesn’t particularly like getting things I like to surprise her with an activity. I opted for a lunch at a fancy restaurant where we could dress up and spend time together. I love stories from the time she grew up, she taught me how to handwash clothes in the most gentle way and she gives great relationship advice.
- Body scrubs: My favorite one is the Brown sugar Lemon scrub, it makes your Skin feel the smoothes and it makes moistorizing after completely unecessary.
- Laundry detergent: Most People opt for the cheapest option when purchasing laundry detergent. I make my own laundry detergent and like to spoil people with their favorite scents of detergent for Christmas.
- Preloved treasures: I love going to antique Shops, flea markets and second Hand Shops to buy something nice for my fashionable sisters who always appreciate something vintage.
- If someone has a specific wish, I try to find it second hand on sites like eBay, Amazon or the german site willhaben.
- I bake. This is an activity I love doing with my little sisters. We spend time together, eat cookie dough and voila, we have delicious Christmas treats for their teachers and our friends and relatives.
- Movie Theater tickets
When I was a little girl, my grandma made reusable cloth bags for every one to save on wrapping paper. We always put every gift unwrapped in the bag and lay it under the Christmas tree. An alternative to that could be big reusable boxes.
I hope this little list was helpful to you,