Now that Christmas is just around the corner, many of you are probably
already planning your trip home. I am a student and I am always looking
for the cheapest way to get places and since I am an Eco-lifestyle
blogger, I go by alternatives that aren’t just cheaper but also more
Travel by train
I live in Europe, it is surprisingly easy to get places by train. The
benefits are not just lower costs, but it’s also one of the most
Eco-friendly traveling options. That is because the train emissions are
not released directly into the upper atmosphere.
Take the Bus
The bus is a great alternative to going everywhere by car.
I also really like the option of a long-distance bus and they are usually unbeatably cheap.
Aside from the convenience factor, I find that there is nothing better than watching the landscape change while reading a good book and having some Zero Waste snacks.
Take the ferry
If you have the option of taking the ferry, and maybe taking your bike to travel the rest of the distance, I highly encourage you to do so. It is worth the trip!
Try sharing a car
I was surprised about how many people actually provide a
spot in their car to ride along and the best thing is, it is way
Of course there is the thought of ” is it safe?,” which trust me is always on the top of my concerns.
What I would suggest for a save car sharing trip is:
- Only take rides with experienced car sharers- they usually have
recommendations and through that, you’ll find out if they are responsible
drivers, punctual and reliable.
- Check out their profiles and call them for details- an actual conversation tells you a lot more about
the person you’ll be driving with.
- If you are a woman, I would suggest to only take rides with women.
- It’s ok to change your mind. If you feel uncomfortable riding with this
person, don’t! In this case it really is better to be safe than sorry!
- Text a friend of family member the car sign and maybe even take a picture of the car before you get in. Let them know throughout the trip where you are and when you’ll be arriving. It is also good to speak to someone on the phone in front of the other person, so they will know someone is
- Bring pepper spray
- Speak up: you are paying for the ride, therefore it is ok to say something when the driver drives uncomfortably fast or in an irresponsible way.
But these are only points for the worst case scenario. The important thing
is to be prepared and not to be shy or too polite about your safety.
What was your favorite Eco-friendly way to travel? Leave a comment or tweet me at @thewastedblog using #ferry